Everything lives where trees live.
The destruction of forests causes so many problems.
- Trees provide a habitat for animals, purify water sources, control flooding and erosion and help to replenish the soil with nutrients needed for farming.
- When farmers can’t grow anything their farms fail and they have no option but to move to the overcrowded cities looking for work.
- Often they have to resort to selling themselves or their families into slavery just to survive.
What if we flip this?
- We start by hiring the local villagers to plant trees.
- This gives them a decent income so they can provide for their families again.
- As the reforestation effort goes on, healthy forests begin to emerge and all the negative effects of deforestation begin to disappear.
The strategy works. To date, The Eden Projects has planted 89,903,000 trees and created 899,030 workdays. And we’re just getting started.
On this live Google Hangout you’ll get to come behind the scenes with the leaders of Eden to discuss:
- The “Power of Multiplication” and how it can be applied to reforestation (instead of deforestation) to create positive environmental and human impact
- The interconnectedness of the world’s most pressing issues including Extreme Poverty, Deforestation, Animal Habitats, Human Trafficking, Climate Change
- See Eden’s revolutionary change model with our latest approach to solving these global problems
- How with the “Levers of Change” approach, simple actions create multiplied impact
- What we’re doing on the ground and how you can help in very tangible ways
“Give people a job planting trees, and a lot of trees get planted.”
- Roger Hoesterey, CEO of The Eden Projects